I’ve always had trouble with sitting for long periods of time as my lower back would almost always ache and feel stiff afterwards.
If you’re like me, then searching for the proper chair to help alleviate your lower back pain is especially important. I bought a pricey but stylish chair, used it for about a month and quickly realized it wasn’t going to be a sustainable option, it was that uncomfortable.
So, I listed it on Craigslist, did some serious research and ended up with a chair that provides so much support that I can quite literally sit all day without pain or stiffness.
To help others dealing with similar problems, I’ve compiled a list of the best office chairs for lower back pain. These are not necessarily the cheapest out there or the most expensive, but they are all solid, body-conscious options and are quite simply the best office chairs for alleviating lower back pain.
Top Office Chairs for Lower Back Pain
#1 Choice – VIVA OFFICE® Comfort Ergonomic Mesh High Back Multifunction Swivel Office Chair
First on the list is the VIVA Office Comfort Ergonomic chair. If you are on a budget, then this should be a serious contender for you.
The VIVA office chair is a high-back ergonomic chair that will make your spine feel supported and balanced throughout a long work day. It features pneumatic seat height adjustment, adjustable tilt tension control, built-in lumbar support, and adjustable armrests. These are all of the core, essential features you should never compromise on when looking for a supportive chair to reduce lower back pain.
Not many high quality chairs on the market at this price point offer headrest support, but this one does and it’s soft, comfortable, and adjustable. Essentially, you can customize it to your preference.
The best part about the VIVA chair and why it’s top on our list for the best office chairs for lower back pain list is, of course, the lumbar support from the adaptable design of the back rest. It is particularly well formed, and consumers have raved that it will keep you comfortable and relaxed while doing your daily work.
If you’re ready to give the VIVA a spin, I suggest making the purchase on Amazon where it sells for about $209.00, compared to the in-store list price of $349.00. This is the most affordably priced option on our list and a serious contender in the best chair for lower back pain category.
If you want the best deal you should buy this on Amazon and here's why:
- All the reviews are like having hundreds of really good friends give you their personal experience with the chair, then taking all of that personal experience and giving it an easy to understand star rating. You know you're buying quality when there are hundreds of fans of the product.
- A friendly UPS driver will deliver it right to your door. No waiting in line, no hauling it in your car. No sore muscles or achy back the next day.
- Amazon has the best price 99% of the time. Amazon constantly watches competitor pricing and makes sure you get the best deal. They do a ton of business and take advantage of economies of scale, which means you get the savings!
- FREE shipping. Enough said.
- Your local office store has a limited selection. On top of that, most of the chairs they sell are their store brand, meaning you get fewer choices and are paying more for a lower quality chair that they make maximum profits on.
- Returns are easy. Amazon recently shipped a car, and they ship a ton of large items, all day, every day. If they can ship a car, rest assured, you will get your chair in perfect condition. BUT, if for any reason it comes damaged, it is super easy to return. Just print out a UPS label, slap it on the box and a friendly UPS driver will pick it up, free of charge. This is way easier than waiting in a return line at Office Depot and talking with a bored, angsty teenage sales clerk.
- Normal Mesh＋Sandwich Mesh
- Contemporary ergonomic mesh high back home & office chair, designed to provide exceptional back support and to prevent body heat and moisture build up
- Pneumatic seat height adjustment, adjustable headrest support, and adjustable tilt tension control
- Built-in lumbar support, multi directional, adjustable armrest
- High quality PP armrest, Nylon base and Nylon casters
- Weight capacity is 250 pounds, easy assembly upon arrival
#2 Choice – ErgoHuman Mesh Ergonomic Chair
Next on the list is the ErgoHuman Mesh Ergonomic chair. If you have a slightly bigger budget, this is a great choice and should be high up on your short list.
It comes in a variety of stylish colors; black, blue, burgundy, copper, gray, green, mesh blue, mesh orange, mesh green, and finally mesh red. Not only does the chair look stylish, cool, and professional, but it also performs well where it counts: supporting your back and eliminating pain.
Just like the VIVA, this chair is also made primarily of mesh, so breathability is without question. When it comes to ergonomics, it features adjustable tilt tension control, tilt lock, seat height, seat depth, and armrest height adjustment for a customized feel to support your individual back needs. Fair warning though, some of the customers who are shorter than 5’7” have had a little trouble finding the sweet spot on this chair, and although not specified, it does cater to taller people.
This chair is sturdy, well built, and receives top marks for durability. It also comes with a lifetime warranty on everything except the upholstery and foam, which are still covered for 5 years.
For only $625 on Amazon, about half the listed retail price, the ErgoHuman is a solid deal. It is also highly rated with 4.2 out of 5 stars and more than 70 customer reviews.
- Mesh Seat, Mesh Back, Mesh Headrest, Metal Frame
- Seat Height: 18.1a”22.9″
- Seat WxD: 19 1/2×17 3/4″
- Adjustable: tilt tension control, tilt lock, back angle, back height, synchro tilt, seat height, seat depth, and arm height
- Material: Mesh
- Base Type: Nylon Casters
#3 Choice – Steelcase Leap Fabric Chair
Last on our list is the Steelcase Leap fabric chair. Steelcase is one of the best known and most established ergonomic chair makers in the industry. They have a strong commitment to understanding people at work, providing them with the best possible chairs that will help them to be more productive and relaxed while sitting.
The Leap looks like your normal desk chair, but it is seriously enhanced by Steelcase’s innovative support features. There’s a reason it is Steelcase’s number 1 selling ergonomic chair. The Leap features a Natural Glide System that adjusts the seat back to help you stay visually-oriented and be able to reach your work which you recline to a position of comfort. It also features adjustable arms, flexible seat edge, adjustable seat depth, and adjustable lumbar support. While it is not mesh, it does have thermal comfort, which is a special foam in the back and seat that allows it to breathe and keep you comfortable.
The top feature this chair offers is the LiveBack, which adapts to support the entire spine when you move, which incidentally also corrects bad posture over time. The lumbar support on this chair is also one of the best out there, and because of the LiveBack feature, your spine will stay supported no matter what you’re working on.
The Leap chair is almost always compared with the Aeron chair as the pricing and features are similar. While ti largely comes down to personal preference, the edge that the Leap has is that it is more flexible and more comfortable in a wider range of different positions.
If you really want the best office chair for your lower back and you have the money to spend, this Steelcase Leap chair is the one for you. For $919.00 on Amazon, it will lighten your wallet, but hopefully it will also lessen the lower back pain you’re suffering from. The Leap also has a solid rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
- Steelcase’s no1 selling ergonomic chair
- LiveBack – changes shape to mimic and support the movement of the spine
- Natural Glide System enables you to comfortably recline without straining your eyes, arms and neck
- Cradle to Cradle(CM) certified Leap is up to 94 percent recyclable by weight, depending on the options selected, and made of up to 30-percent recycled content
- SCS Indoor Advantage certified Identifying Leap as a low-emitting
- Cradle to Cradle Certification – Silver. Leap is up 98-percent recyclable by weight, depending on the options selected, and made of up to 30-percent recycled content.