Reading Time: 6 minutes
Learn: The 3 best tast chairs and their features
Task chairs are the zen option of the chair world. MINIMALIST, clean-lined and simple.
But minimalist doesn’t have to mean uncomfortable.
While task chairs are generally pretty basic in terms of design, and vary in the amount of extra features they have, they can also be comfortable and supportive. If you find the right option. Task chairs are created specifically to be used by many different users, typically in an office setting. They are favorites of architects, design students and those who are seated intermittently during a work day.
Below are my top 3 picks for the best task chairs on the market for durability, functionality, comfortability and price. You can also check the best desk chairs which can work similarly well for this purpose.
Top Task Chairs
#1 Choice – Basyx by HON HVL210 Task Chair
The Basyx by HON HVL210 task chair is a simple task chair with a low price tag. I like to think of this as the Honda Civic model of task chairs. Reliable, basic and approachable.
This chair is the basic model with few frills. This makes it pretty easy to use and streamlined in its design. It has two main features. First, is the pneumatic seat height adjustment, which allows users of varying heights to adjust the level of the seat to their comfort level. Second, is the adjustable tilt tension, which makes the chair increase its back angle resistance for maximum support or decrease resistance for easy reclining.
Another feature we like about this chair is that the contoured seat and back have double-layered cushions, which help prevent strain and discomfort when you are sitting for long periods of time. The design is also aesthetically neutral, with plain black mesh sandwich upholstery and a black frame. The frame and base are also molded from reinforced resin for increased durability.
The Basyx is one of the office chairs you see people use every day. It is simple, comfortable, durable, affordable, and compact – which is an added bonus for those who like to push their chairs under their desks when not in use to maximize space. One thing to take note of, is that this chair does not have armrests. This is fairly common for task chairs, and is something you should expect when shopping in this category.
This chair is a high-quality product for the price. It is listed for just $72.59 at Amazon with a 4.5 star rating. Bear in mind that this chair is on the affordable side, which means you shouldn’t expect all the bells and whistles you’ll see with many of the executive chairs we review in other posts. Like its name suggests, it is a basic, solid, durable and comfortable task chair for daily use. A standout in the task chair category.
If you want the best deal you should buy this on Amazon and here's why:
- All the reviews are like having hundreds of really good friends give you their personal experience with the chair, then taking all of that personal experience and giving it an easy to understand star rating. You know you're buying quality when there are hundreds of fans of the product.
- A friendly UPS driver will deliver it right to your door. No waiting in line, no hauling it in your car. No sore muscles or achy back the next day.
- Amazon has the best price 99% of the time. Amazon constantly watches competitor pricing and makes sure you get the best deal. They do a ton of business and take advantage of economies of scale, which means you get the savings!
- FREE shipping. Enough said.
- Your local office store has a limited selection. On top of that, most of the chairs they sell are their store brand, meaning you get fewer choices and are paying more for a lower quality chair that they make maximum profits on.
- Returns are easy. Amazon recently shipped a car, and they ship a ton of large items, all day, every day. If they can ship a car, rest assured, you will get your chair in perfect condition. BUT, if for any reason it comes damaged, it is super easy to return. Just print out a UPS label, slap it on the box and a friendly UPS driver will pick it up, free of charge. This is way easier than waiting in a return line at Office Depot and talking with a bored, angsty teenage sales clerk.
- Black sandwich mesh upholstery
- Sturdy textured black frame
- Pneumatic seat height adjustment
- Swivel tilt mechanism with adjustable tilt tension accommodates users of all sizes
- Basic trouble shooting: Confirm that the cylinder is squarely mounted into the tilt mechanism, if not, remove and re-assemble. Confirm that the mechanism is mounted onto the seat pan in the proper orientation, if not, remove and re-assemble.
#2 Choice – Steelcase Leap Fabric Chair
The Steelcase Leap Navy Fabric Chair is one of the most luxurious task chairs on the market. This chair has a lot of innovative features that take your typical, basic task chair to the next level. One of our favorites is the Liveback technology that makes the chair auto-adjust to fit your body. Steelcase prides themselves on understanding how the human body reclines and what this position actually does to your spine in order to help you sit better and prevent you from experiencing a sore back. The backrest flexes to change its shape as your spine curves and shifts, providing stable support and encouraging unrestricted movement, which helps reduce hunched postures that stress the spine and spinal ligaments.
Another great feature is the Steelcase chair’s adjustable arms, which can move in four directions (height, width, depth, pivot) so you can find the best position that properly aligns and supports wrists, forearms, shoulders and neck. Special foam and slats in the back and seat allow it to breathe for optimal thermal comfort. The adjustable lumbar support can also be positioned any way you like for additional back support.
Another great feature that we love, is the Leap chairs are up to 90% recyclable and have undergone a complete Lifecycle Assessment, meaning the chair is good for the environment and has a lower carbon footprint than most of it’s competitors.
And our favorite feature? The feature that makes it one of the best task chairs on the market? The Natural Glide System. This function allows the chair back to recline and the seat to glide forward, enabling you to recline and still stay visually oriented to reach your work. This chair’s flexible seat edge automatically adjusts to relieve the pressure on the back of your legs when you either recline or lean forward. This chair also has adjustable seat depth which also adapts to fit your leg length and body shape for long-term comfort.
The lower back firmness control is found at the seat’s right side. This control allows you customize the level of firmness to maintain your lower spine’s natural curve. You can also find the upper back force control at the bottom right side of the seat. This will set the amount of push-back that you feel as you recline your chair. The variable back stop control is found on top of the upper back control, and this lets you set the recline angle that supports you the best.
This chair is also certified by SCS Indoor advantage as low-emitting, which means people will not be exposed to toxins or air contaminants, which can cause headaches, asthma, dizziness and prolonged chemical sensitivities. Cradle to Cradle (CM) also certified Leap up to 94 percent recyclable by weight.
Did I mention this is Steelcase’s number 1 selling ergonomic chair? With its listed price of $919 on Amazon ,this is the most expensive of the three task chairs. Consumers gave this chair a 4 star rating. If you can afford it, I would definitely encourage you to snap up this chair and enjoy all the frills that come with the price tag.
- Steelcase’s no. 1 selling ergonomic chair
- LiveBack – changes shape to mimic and support the movement of the spine
- Natural Glide System enables you to comfortably recline without straining your eyes, arms and neck
- Cradle to Cradle(CM) certified Leap is up to 94 percent recyclable by weight, depending on the options selected, and made of up to 30-percent recycled content
- SCS Indoor Advantage certified Identifying Leap as a low-emitting
- Cradle to Cradle Certification – Silver. Leap is up 98-percent recyclable by weight, depending on the options selected, and made of up to 30-percent recycled content.
#3 Choice – Alera ALEEL41ME10B Elusion Series Mesh High-Back Multifunction Chair
The Alera Elusion series blends multi-function performance and mesh comfort with ergonomic design features. The Elusion chair offers easy convenience mobility and classic styling. We especially love that the Elusion series’ functionality, like pneumatic seat height adjustment, seat glide mechanisms, tilt tension, tilt lock, back height adjustment, asynchronous control and 360 degree swivel capabilities can be adjusted easily to fit multiple users of different sizes and heights. The seat cushion itself is designed especially to relieve pressure on one’s legs.
The breathable mesh back and contoured seat cushion also provide all-day comfort and support. Hard-surfaced casters ensure this chair is smoothly mobile. The mesh back also prevents sweat and moisture build-up as you work.
The durability of this chair is highly-rated and this model can support up to 250lbs or more.
The assembly time is a little longer on this model, closer to 20 minutes. It is recommended that you have a second pair of hands assist with positioning the pieces being screwed together.
The Alera Elusion Series chair is a solid, mid-range task chair that will provide serious comfort at an affordable price. It can be found on Amazon for just $200.38, with an impressive 4.5 star customer ratings.
- Made in USA or Imported
- Multifunction mechanism allows back angle adjustment relative to seat, adjustable tilt (free floating or infinite locking positions) and forward tilt
- Cool, breathable mesh back
- Contoured seat cushion with premium fabric upholstery and waterfall edge to help relieve pressure on legs