Reading Time: 7 minutes
Learn: Hands down, the 3 most comfortable office chairs at different price points
Whether you have a home office or a company office, if you’re seeking an office chair, you’re looking for something that is, first and foremost, comfortable to sit in.
While searching, it is easy to get bogged down in the myriad of options available, and feel overwhelmed sifting through the mixed reviews most of them receive. None of which really help you identify the perfect chair for your support needs, your aesthetic or your budget.
I was in the same position, which is exactly why I made this list – to help other people find the most comfortable office chair to support their lumbar needs, provide the range of features they like to enjoy and still stays within their preferred price range.
When comfort is your priority, the features, construction and build of the chair make all the difference. I have reviewed 3 of the most comfortable chairs in the market: the acclaimed Aeron chair, the Boss Black LeatherPlus Executive chair, and the Viva Multi-Office chair. My personal pick, budget aside would be the gold standard, Aeron. However, if price is a consideration, the Viva Multi-Office is a solid and stylish runner-up.
Read on to learn about the specs on each and to determine which is the best option for your needs.
Top Comfortable Office Chairs
#1 Choice – Aeron Chair by Herman Miller
The Aeron chair by Herman Miller is almost infamous in its reputation as standout chair in terms of design and ergonomic ingenuity, it is also one of the most expensive options you will consider. If you are looking for the best all-around and most comfortable chair, this is what you’ve been searching for. You hardly even need to read further. If price is no object, just buy this beauty and rest easy.
The Aeron chair is an ergonomically-designed executive chair that is made up of high-tech mesh fabric. The Herman Miller company has made sure that this chair will adapt and adjust to fit a person’s size, activity, posture, etc. all day long. One of the primary reasons this chair is so comfortable is PostureFit, the special technology the HM geniuses developed to support the way your pelvis naturally tilts forward, allowing your spine stay aligned and avoid back pain and discomfort.
With its high-tech, patented mesh fabric, you can also be sure that it will not look or function like your other conventional chairs. The patented material distributes the pressure of the seat against your body evenly, keeping you airily cool and comfortable, no matter the environment.
As mentioned, this chair is a bit on the expensive side with a list price of $1,346. But, if you buy this chair on Amazon, you can score it for just $939. Considering the amount of money you’ll shell out for this chair, I understand if you have some inhibitions about taking the plunge. But with the all-encompassing 12-year warranty of Herman Miller, you know you will get great service and a superior product.
If you want the best deal you should buy this on Amazon and here's why:
- All the reviews are like having hundreds of really good friends give you their personal experience with the chair, then taking all of that personal experience and giving it an easy to understand star rating. You know you're buying quality when there are hundreds of fans of the product.
- A friendly UPS driver will deliver it right to your door. No waiting in line, no hauling it in your car. No sore muscles or achy back the next day.
- Amazon has the best price 99% of the time. Amazon constantly watches competitor pricing and makes sure you get the best deal. They do a ton of business and take advantage of economies of scale, which means you get the savings!
- FREE shipping. Enough said.
- Your local office store has a limited selection. On top of that, most of the chairs they sell are their store brand, meaning you get fewer choices and are paying more for a lower quality chair that they make maximum profits on.
- Returns are easy. Amazon recently shipped a car, and they ship a ton of large items, all day, every day. If they can ship a car, rest assured, you will get your chair in perfect condition. BUT, if for any reason it comes damaged, it is super easy to return. Just print out a UPS label, slap it on the box and a friendly UPS driver will pick it up, free of charge. This is way easier than waiting in a return line at Office Depot and talking with a bored, angsty teenage sales clerk.
- 12-year Herman Miller warranty with Born-On-Date sticker.
- The new benchmark in the arena of ergonomic office, seating
- Highly Adjustable Mode: Adjustable Arms, Lumbar Support, Tilt Limiter and Seat Angle Adjustment, Tilt Limiter
#2 Choice – Boss Black LeatherPlus Executive Chair
The Boss Black LeatherPlus Executive chair is a top-grade ergonomic chair that provides top-level comfort for the user. It has excellent lumbar support and pneumatic seat height adjustment, which is ideal for customizing the chair to suit individual needs and preferences. There are 2 colors available for this model – black and gray. The waterfall seat design is thoughtfully constructed to lessen fatigue on the legs and remains comfortable even during periods of prolonged sitting. The chair is made of leather, which adds to the stylish look. In terms of durability, the materials used are of good quality and possibly better or at par with most others on the market.
The lumbar support is one of the highlights of this chair as it extends all the way up to the headrest. The lumbar support, for me, is the main reason why this chair is one of the most comfortable office chairs out there. Imagine sitting in your office for more than an 8 hour stretch and you’re tired, the additional lumbar support the Boss provides is worth every penny. The added padding also makes it extra soft and comfortable.
The Boss Black LeatherPlus Executive chair also has a recline feature. It may not be a priority for most users, but it’s a nice option to have for when you need a quick break. Fair warning though, if you are below 5’6” there’s a chance that you won’t be as comfortable in this chair as it can be a bit too big for petite frames. But if you’re tall, then this chair will be an excellent fit. The construction of the Boss is especially noteworthy, considering the price point. Most purchasers find this chair easy and quick to assemble.
If you’re looking for a top-level chair and don’t want to shell out more than 200 bucks or so, then this is an ideal option for you. You can score this chair at only a little less than $150 on Amazon. For that price, you are getting a stellar deal.
- Ergonomic office chair with lumbar support and pneumatic seat height adjustment
- Upholstered in black LeatherPlus; waterfall seat design eliminates leg fatigue
- Upright locking position and adjustable tilt tension control
- Weight capacity is 250 pounds; easy assembly upon arrival; no tools required
- Measures 26-1/2 inches wide by 28 inches deep; adjusts between 45 and 48-1/2 inches high
#3 Choice – Viva High-Back Ergonomic Multioffice Chair
Viva is a professional office furniture supplier that produces excellent office chairs. All of the Viva office chairs have passed the BIFMA (Business and Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association) standards for all applicable features so you know you are purchasing a top-quality, high-performing product.
This chair has dimensions of 66.9 x 27.2 x 44.9 and weighs around 59 pounds. It comes only in black and the material used is bonded leather. It has a high-back ergonomic bonded leather recliner-style body with height adjustment, adjustable depth lever and reclining incremental footrest. The Viva office chair is not just for sitting in at the desk to work, but also allows you to fully recline into a sleeping position, the ultimate in comfort. In addition to the reclining back, this chair has a footrest that can extend far enough to support the lower legs and feet. The footrest is tucked up under the seat when not in use. Its lumbar support is soft and naturally curved for your back.
The texture of the black leather is thick and soft which looks especially luxurious. The locking wheels at the base of the chair allow you to roll or stay in one place. The cushions of the chair are nice and firm, so it feels very supportive and comfortable when working for long duration. The back of the chair has a built-in, leather-covered pillow-top that helps to cushion your head and back when enjoying the recline function.
When assembling the chair together, it is highly suggested to have a second set of hands to help with attaching the back of the chair to the base. Since the cushions are thick, you will need one person to hold the two pieces together, while the other puts in the screws. Once assembled, it is a strong and sturdy chair that purchasers laud for its longevity.
Bottomline, the best feature this chair has to offer that other similarly-priced options don’t, is its fully reclining back and footrest, which is stellar for those who work late hours and need a comfortable way to take a break. With a $339 price tag on Amazon, you will not only be satisfied with its comfort and functionality but also its reasonable price tag.
- Bonded leather
- High-back, ergonomic, bonded leather recliner, swivel napping chair with height adjustment and adjustable depth lever reclining incremental footrest
- Padded headrest, reclining back angle control, and Built-in lumbar support
- Swivel mechanism with heavy duty nylon casters, and chrome base.
- Has leather upholstery with padded arms that bring added support
- Weight capacity: 250 pounds